Sunday, August 21, 2011

Life is too short to drink bad wine






Uh-oh, writer's block... Is this it? I know what I want to write about, I just can't seem to get started. Hmmmm.... well, then off to Purple Smile Wines for some tasting to get the creative juices flowing. Literally.

I love wine. Good wine. So much so that recently I decided to just slow 'er down a tad. But as the ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus said, "Be moderate in order to taste the joys of life in abundance." Makes sense to me. So my few tastes of the good fruit add up to a glass and now I'm burning up the keyboard like a secretary from Mad Men after a slap on the fanny!

When Pat and I see a film in the theatre we can't bring ourselves to pay laughable amounts of money for popcorn and sodas. Thus we bring the Beer Purse. We put a couple beers or a bottle of vino in it along with some nuts, cheese, etc and sit in the back row, enjoying the film in style. This worked great until one evening I accidentally knocked the empty bottle over and it rolled downhill all the way to the front row and everyone giggled as it 'clanked' when it hit. You could hear it rolling and picking up speed all the way down. argh... The next time we hunkered down a few rows from the back in a fairly empty theatre and sure enough some people came along and sat down right behind us. "Hello, people! There's something wrong with the other 97 empty seats in this theatre? You just HAD to sit behind US?" Ahem...

I don't even really care that much about having this beverage in the theatre. It's the sneaking it in and getting away with it that keeps me coming back (reminds me of sneaking Wendy into the drive-in movies in the trunk of the car back in high school). Now some theatres are even stooping so low as to check purses upon entry. So, how do we attend to this situation? We buy The Wine Rack! No, silly, not a wine rack. THE Wine Rack - it's a sports bra with a bladder in it that holds an entire bottle of wine or other beverage of choice. But wait! There's more! Added benefit - it makes me look like a DD. Talk about a rack! Check THAT, Cinema dude! HA! The only worry is that if it's filled with red wine and springs a leak... how do you explain you're lactating cabernet?

Well, besides wearing a purple shirt and drinking up in a hurry (not a good option) I would have to just chalk it up to another teachable moment and laugh about it.

Either way, wine to me is not just a beverage. It's art. It's passion. It's good food, good company and good health. Perhaps it's pleasing to me because as I age, I slow down a little and see things differently than when I was much younger. I see the importance of enjoying every day and the components I've mentioned all lead to a richer life.
"With years a richer life begins, the spirit mellow: ripe age gives tones to violins, wine and good fellows" John Townsend Trowbridge




4 comments:

  1. Life IS too short to drink bad wine...or bad coffee...or eat cheap chocolate...
    Love your wit and wisdom, little sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, that's funny. reminds of back in the 70's when Lyric theatre had a: "Planet of the Apes" marathon. so my boyfriend and i snuck in with a large tote bag filled with chicken, potato salad, pop, and other treats. and settled in for a long simian, fun filled night. :D
    FGM

    ReplyDelete
  3. carole and i brought chicken too. i thought you looked familiar :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! The G.O.D.'s, what a hoot!

    ReplyDelete