Monday, August 15, 2011

"When the fun is done, the adventure begins"





That quote is from a dear little boy who sees the world through innocent eyes. Have you ever wondered what life would be like if adults would communicate with each other the way children do? Just walk into a room where you know no one and see how long it takes another adult to approach you. But watch the kids and they will immediately be drawn to each other like magnets and begin playing together. No need for introductions. Like puppies at the 'arf park' - same thing. They simply enjoy the camaraderie without inhibitions.
I spent the weekend camping with dear friends and family on Camano Island with several children in attendance. Sitting back and watching them interact with each other and with adults was fascinating. They will not only 'say it like it is', but while they are speaking they may stroke your hair or play with your jacket zipper as matter-of-factly as if they were sipping a cup of coffee during conversation. Gives me cause to take an introspective look at how I communicate with others.

Next time I'm at Boundary Bay Brewery I'm going to strike up a conversation with whomever is sitting next to me and challenge him or her to a hula hooping contest and see where it takes us. Who knows, I may make a friend for life. But don't expect me to play with their zipper!

2 comments:

  1. uh....good thinking on that zipper thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol@ Bryan

    i like having my hair stroked, makes me feel like purring. :D my niece used to brush my hair when she was a youngun.
    FGM

    ReplyDelete